Sunday, June 10, 2007

Looking Out the Rear Window

The funeral rite concluded With the pastor shaking hands, Offering words of comfortI didn't quite understand.


Website Promotion Service

The undertakers came forth And summoned pallbearers' four. They marched beside the coffin Carrying it steady toward the door.

I didn't cry or whimper As I followed right behind. But deep within I screamed Don't leave O Mother of mine.

Please don't go to the grave; Let's chat just one more time. Let's talk about the 'good old days' Don't leave, O Mother of mine."

But onward moved the casket Down the stairs to the limousine; With Mother laying incognizantOf my agonizing scream.

As we rode toward the ossuary Thoughts were swimming in my head; Why didn't the whole world stop?Didn't it know my Mother was dead?

But the world kept 'bout its business And within I felt so sad,' Cause my Mother didn't get the honorI thought she should have had.

As we drove into the cemetery I knew it wouldn't be long, Before I had to sing at lastMy final farewell song.

I stood at the gravesite Grief festering in my breast: Scriptures read, prayers prayed, Mother committed to eternal rest.

Looking out the car's rear window As we mutely drove away; I saw a heavenly angel fly To where my Mother lay.

Then I knew that all was well, That Mother was just fine. That I would live and grow and serveUntil, alas, my time.

Thank you Lord for reassuring me That the grave is not the end. That Mother is patiently waiting for me Just around life's toilsome bend.

But now there's work I must perform That no one else can do; Some hurting, aching souls to soothe, Broken dreams to help renew.

And in the process of reaching out To brighten someone's day; I sense way deep within myself, That I too will be okay.

By Saundra L. Washington

No comments: